Monday, November 1, 2010

Choose to SEE!

I am almost finished reading Mary Beth Chapman's book, Choosing to See. Of course as an adoptive parent, I am ravenous for true stories of adoption. I remember watching the news in 2008, when I learned that Maria Sue Chapman had been killed in a tragic accident. My heart grieved for this family. I remember praying with our children that God would protect and heal the Chapman family. To be able to read Mary Beth's book is an opportunity to see how God worked through this family. Maria Sue was just one of millions of orphans in this world--but she found something many children never do--a loving home. She only lived for five short years, but brought so much life and hope to her family in that short time.
I think about how many times I get asked, "Why are you adopting again?" by family and friends. The answer is so simple that it amazes me how many people don't get it--because there are children who need a home! Children who are fearfully and wonderfully made in God's image. Children who won't learn about Jesus or His love for their precious little life, unless they are given a family.
We are ALL orphans! God has adopted us into His family. We didn't do anything to deserve this blessing, yet He gives it to us unconditionally.
How can we be so selfish? How can we NOT help these children. If you feel called to adopt--step out in faith and pray about it. If you want to help, but don't feel called to adopt, then help someone who does want to adopt. Donate time, money, prayers, hugs. If you don't know someone who is adopting, Google it! You will find tons of agencies and foundations that will be happy to give you a tax deduction in exchange for a small donation. The money raised goes to help people adopt, to care for orphans waiting for homes, and to help pay for medical care for the children who have no families.

How would you feel if you sat alone in a crib all day with no one to hug you, or smile at you, or tell you that you're special? Some of the children did know love once, but for one reason or another they were abandoned, or relinquised to orphanages. They need to know they are loved and are precious to someone. So if you can find room in your heart, please consider adoption.
Sorry--but I really had to vent! And since no one reads this but me, I figure I can vent anything I want to.
And a picture of our crazy kiddos:




1 comment:

  1. Are you adopting again???
    I sure hope so!!!!
    Michelle
    www.mfamilyblog.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete